Tuesday, August 11, 2009

The English Language...You Can Use it Too

I feel like I'm a fairly sympathetic person. I try to understand the lives people lead, and why they do certain things. Sometimes I even go as far as to give a person the benefit of the doubt, although I admit, it is sometimes rare. Which brings me to my latest frustration. Sometimes the use of a particular word, or the way someone uses the word will just drive me into a frenzy. Sometimes when the word "chatted" is used repeatedly, I get very irritated. I'm weird, I know.

Its not that the words themselves bother me, its when they are used exclusively with no synonym in sight that I get bothered. Take today for instance. I was working with this very nice lady, who seemed to be intelligent enough and well spoken enough to engage in a conversation (my assessment skills must have fallen by the wayside.) Over the course of our conversation, said lady used the phrase, "and I was like woooow" repeatedly in the conversation. And I don't want to use the word repeatedly to confuse the reader into thinking that it was used 5 times in the course of our 25 minute car ride. I don't even want to trick the reader into thinking I'm using the word "repeatedly" to say she said the phrase 10 times over the course of a 25 minute car ride. She said the phrase LITERALLY 21 times ( I know because I counted....no seriously, at one point I thought I was caught because I used the ever so effective method of finger counting like a 5 year old, as if counting in my head was out of the question.) Anywho, she used the phrase almost once a minute, "and I was like woooow."

Part of me was just plain amazed at how she used that simple phrase to express herself in a variety of different situations:

Amazement: "and I was like wooooow"
Fear: "and I was like wooooow"
Anger: "and I was like woooow"
Confusion: "and I was like woooow"
And I was like wow: "and I was like wooooow"

Atleast she used it correctly once.

1 comment:

  1. This is so funny! So many people fall into these bad habits when communicating--are they just unaware that they're doing it or do they think it sounds cool? One of my pet peeves is the word "like" used a million times and "perfect!" as in "Here's my credit card to pay this bill," and the clerk will say "Perfect!" as though I could not have come up with a better solution.

    ReplyDelete